After writing about the Yale protests yesterday I just wanted to make a few things clear.
- Racism does exist on college campuses. In many ways, more openly and obviously than ever. I, for one, prefer it that way.
- There is a HUGE difference between the systemic racism and racial hostility going on at University of Missouri A public university and Yale, an exclusive private one.
- Just because some people may cry wolf, that doesn’t not mean that the wolves aren’t out there, hunting sheep.
- As far as the PC flap goes I blame everyone, including myself for not speaking up when people say stupid shit and for sometimes just not knowing how to take a freaking joke.
- I am African-American, I have friends and relations of every ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and whatever else there is I either don’t know about or don’t care to know about. That doesn’t insulate me from being an occasional prick to one or more of these groups. What it does do is give me examples of people as people first and as categories later, and what THAT does is allow me to feel like shit when I hurt a real persons feelings. Thussly I have to reexamine what I say and decide whether they are being too sensitive or I’m just being an asshole. AND all with the added bonus of having a conversation about WHY I hurt their feelings in the first place. Maybe if we associate with the rabble a little it might just help us understand why they think that way, or change our minds about why we shouldn’t try to make them.
- I believe that people are too fucking sensitive, yep I said it.
- I also believe that there are some assholes who will wear that excuse on their sleeve just in order to be assholes.
- I believe in this article, and this one and this one and this one, but I don’t fully agree with any of them. It’s called thinking for oneself.